Sunday, May 17, 2009

Beautiful Like Me: Dance



Today I am posting for the Beautiful Like Me Project, a project dedicated to raising awareness about the lack of self-esteem and poor body image in today's youth. We are inviting anyone and everyone to please join us in spreading the word. Please feel free to join in anytime. Also please take a minute to see the other Beautiful Like Me Posters (listed below)! Together we can help today's youth have a positive self-image!


This weeks topic is:
In your opinion, what is the best way to build self-esteem?
Dance
(metaphorically speaking)

Each week I am faced with a new question and I think that it is going to be so easy ... I have thought about it and had some great ideas and then, I sit down to post and it gets so complex. My mind starts racing and nothing makes sense!

I have six children and building positive self-esteem is a number one priority but I have no answers. Each child is very different, there needs from me are very different. My oldest daughter has the greatest self esteem: she has always been confident and determined -- YEAH ME! I did a good job BUT then daughter number two comes along, not so confident -- What did I do wrong? And so on and so forth with each child.

So all I know is that each is different and each is ever changing!

But as a parent I will never stop trying to boost my children's self esteem, whether it is through words or my actions I will always try to show them that they are amazingly beautiful people.

Ironically, I recently received the above video, it brought tears to my eyes, I thought it was amazing and I thought "WOW! I bet their parents knew all about teaching self esteem." Just watching these very talented people gave me inspiration.

So I started thinking that maybe another clue to teaching my children positive self esteem is providing inspiration, encouragement and of course positive reinforcement.

So, DANCE or whatever it is that makes you happy and love doing it!

For more wonderful thoughts on building self esteem stop by all the other beautiful blogs that are supporting the Beautiful Like Me Project! I will be adding as people post:

My Co-hosts: WickedStepMom and Tricia at Shout

Jan at Jan's Sushi Bar
Danielle at Boys R Us
Lisa P at Use Your Wisdom
Casey at Half As Good As You
Momma Miller at Miller Memories

Please join us anytime, if you post leave a message with your link and I will add you to my list! Together we can make a difference, each story told touches someones life!

Here you can look at past Beautiful Like Me Posts!

Here is our topic for the next Beautiful Like Me Post and you can always go to the Project Main Page for a list of topics and other information.

Next post scheduled for Monday, June 1st
What person or people are the most influential about how you feel about yourself?
Who influences you the most to feel beautiful?



12 comments:

Wicked Step Mom said...

Dance.. simple yet amazing..

Lisa P said...

Wow. I just watched this with my daughter and she loved it. I found myself less aware of the difference as the dance went on. The dancers themselves held nothing back. Amazing. The man's crutch became an accessory. Great post, Amy.

Danielle said...

Beautiful!

Sara said...

Wow that dance was so awesome, I loved it!!

Tricia said...

This is wonderful and beautiful. I love the video!!

Amy McMean a.k.a McSunshine said...

Wow the video is amazing and your post is AWESOME.

Hi God, It's Me Again... said...

Wow...that's all I can say...

Tiaras and Tantrums said...

once again - such lovely wonderful advice!!

ps - how do you keep up with all those blogs???????

The Pifer's said...

I love this video, thank you for sharing, it's BEAUTIFUL!

Casey said...

It's hard with one or two or six or a hundred kids but it sounds like you're doing everything you can to raise well balanced, confident kids.

That video reminded me of my husband. He was born without any fingers on one of his hands and it's never stopped him from doing everything that the rest of us can do. His mom did a great job with him and he's never felt handicapped in any way.

Heather @ Sugar N Spice Mostly Nice said...

I have no words...simply amazing!!

"FINE"al thoughts... said...

That was beautiful. Even my nine-year-old daughter loved it!