Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Wordless/Wordful Wednesday - #10

For me this picture needs no words, it makes me smile and it makes me cry all in the same moment. It both warms my heart and saddens it!

Let me explain. This is Jacob at his first baseball game this season (which they won). I snapped this before the game, he was watching the team before him finish up. When I saw him standing there it warmed my heart ... his love for baseball, my little guy growing up so fast, and just how proud my dad would be of him.

My dad (actually my step dad, who I lived with from the time I was two years old) passed away from cancer before any of my children where born. This makes me sad just to think about it because I know he would have loved his grandchildren more than anything. My dad was a baseball fan (actually a fan of most any sport). He loved to play, he loved to watch and he loved to coach ... he lived for sports. He was also #10 ... always! He grew up in a small town and apparently when he first started playing baseball (in Kindergarten, as the story goes) he and his best friend went to try-outs. They both made the team, dad was given #1 but his friend really wanted it so he traded with him and ended up with #10 and he just always had it!

So when Jacob's coach asked me what number I wanted and my choices were #10 or #12,without hesitation I said #10. I did not realize just how emotional it would make me feel when I saw that #10 watching the game.

My dad would be so proud of Jacob. I believe in my heart that he is watching over us but some days I wish with all my heart that he was here to share in the little pleasures of life with my children.

A magical day to you!

I participate in Wordful Wednesday sponsored by
SevEn cLoWn CirCus


Check out the Wordless Wednesday HQ!

You may also like these:





Mom Blogs


17 comments:

Sweet Annabelle said...

What a special story! Thanks for sharing it on Wordless Wednesday.

Wicked Step Mom said...

I know I will always be cheering for #10

The Mud Bug said...

Great photo!

http://mud-bug.com/2009/04/wordless-wednesday-tattoo-girl/

ThisGrandma said...

I love it when the Spirit makes things happen like that !!! What a special moment, special picture !! He's looking so grown up !!!
Love You, Jake !!

HeatherPride said...

What a great story! And a great shot. Very touching.

Tiaras and Tantrums said...

aww - what a sweet story! He looks so mature standing there!

Muthering Heights said...

What a bittersweet moment!

Cascia said...

Wow! That is a really touching story. I bet your dad is watching over your son.

Just A Mom (Call me JAM for short) said...

What a great post. I certainly can relate. My own father passed away from cancer when my son was just two. There is so much my son and my dad missed together.

Great picture.

Happy WW!

Rob said...

Awesome photo, made me chock up a little. Happy WW!

Sara Bonds said...

Sweet photo. It is dang near perfect really. Sweet story too. I can only imagine. Very touching.

Happy WW from Sara @ Mostly Wordless Wednesday HQ!

Heather @ Sugar N Spice Mostly Nice said...

What a great post. I'm sure your Dad would be very proud. Great picture of your son too!

CVSer said...

Aww I love your post! ((HUGS))

The Jacobsen Family! said...

Aw, so sweet. Thanks for sharing!

Nightowl Mama said...

great photo MOM!! one to cherish in years to come

Mon said...

Beautiful and touching thoughts Amy. What a photo to treasure.

Tricia said...

What a wonderful story. I hope Jacob gets to wear number 10 forever and I'm quite sure that David is smiling.