Saturday, February 14, 2009

Happy Valentines Day

I have been out there reading some blogs this morning with beautiful love stories, poems and letters all expressing their love to that special person in their lives. Each time I read I think "wow, I should have written something like that for Dan." But here I am scrounging around trying to find the words to write to him ... not because he does not deserve all these eloquently put stories, poems and/or letters BUT because I am just awful at this kind of stuff! Oh, how I have dreamed of romance like in the movies but for the life of me could not pull it off! It just is not me and if we are honest it is not Dan either ... we do not usually make a big deal over Valentines Day but I thought I would tell everyone a little about my thoughts.

I do believe in true love, I do believe in love at first sight and I do believe that it can be the most wonderful thing in the world. I have been blessed with finding it ... Dan and I met when I was ten years old and he was fourteen. His family bought the house across the road from us and for me it was love at first sight (it took Dan some time to catch on :). We did become very good friends, very quickly and a few years later (I was fifteen) we started dating. When I was twenty-one we married - there are times when this seems like a lifetime ago BUT then there are times when I can remember our first kiss like it was just a second ago.

Relationships of any sort are not easy, all the time, and ours has had its bumps and curves throughout BUT I think most importantly we have always come to each other first and treated each other with respect. Together we have taken our relationship through many levels to where we are now and with each new place in our lives we have learned and nurtured the needs of ourselves and each other.

So as I sit here in the wee hours of the morning in the dark and quiet, anticipating the arrival of our new baby (any day now) and thinking about the road that Dan and I have traveled together it brings tears to my eyes and a mushy feeling all over ... Dan is my only true love. I know it seems so silly to say, especially these days where it seems like it is said so often, by so many, for all the wrong reasons. I guess that is why I am not so good at this is because it is so hard to take seriously amongst the craziness of our times. With so many being so disrespectful to ones they supposedly 'love'.

So here is my little note to Dan:
My Dearest Husband:
I love you, what more can I say ... it seems that I continue to fall in love with you more frequently then I ever thought possible. You bring me strength, love, and kindness and do it with respect. You are a wonderful father, sometimes I watch you with the children because it makes me smile and warms my heart. I wish I could find the beautiful words to tell you all that is going on inside of me, to express to you the love and admiration that I feel for you but, here I sit speechless (unusual I know). So I guess you are going to have to take my "I love you" and hopefully you know it is from my heart.
I hope everyone has a wonderful Valentines Day.

PS. Thanks Grandma for taking pictures!

2 comments:

Tricia said...

I think you said it perfectly!!

Hugs to you on Valentine's Day!

Lisa @ Crazy Adventures in Parenting said...

*hugs* So sweet! :) Happy Valentine's Day!