Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Wordful Wednesday - Eggs

So this may not be very exciting for some but for us it has been an adventure... we are really excited! Here is our crazy chicken story: In October we built a coop (no small task) and went and got chickens. Our hopes were to have some great laying hens. We were all excited and the kids would run out several times per day to check. As our small flock of ten chickens started maturing it seemed that we had a few roosters, the Light Brahamas that we had bought are very hard to tell -- I was told that the easiest way was when they started to crow! So one day we are out side and I counted nine different chickens crowing ... no wonder we are not getting any eggs. So the long and short of it ... eight roosters went to the freezer and we started looking for laying hens. We now have ten beautiful girlie girls (as Rick calls them) and one Rooster, George! We are all happier, and getting four or five eggs per day -- YEAH!!!!

This is Rick's little basket that he takes out to get eggs. This has become a very 'cool' thing for him to do. He goes our twice a day and collects the eggs and is always very excited when he comes back with his basket!

See the variety .. we have some brown, green and white layers. We also have two new layers that should lay very dark brown eggs ... we are waiting on them! There is one that we get every other day that is HUGE -- see on the bottom right, the egg carton will not close all the way! These pictures really do not show the variety of color but it is fun!

Here are a few of the girlie girls and George the rooster ... they are such a pleasure. We free range them during the day and they have become quite friendly. The kids (and I) are really enjoying them and now that they are providing us with eggs, it is all worth it!

A magical day to you!

I participate in Wordful Wednesday sponsored by
SevEn cLoWn CirCus


18 comments:

Life with Kaishon said...

We had chickens when I was growing up. Rhode Island Reds. My Daddy loved brown eggs. It was a lot of fun to have chickens. Great post!

Tiaras and Tantrums said...

Oh - there is NOTHING like a farm chicken!! Yummy!! But I fricking HATE to butcher, pluck and cut up the dead chickens!! (IO grew up in rural IA)

Mon said...

How wonderful to have all those eggs and for the kids to be involved. Are the others doing anything besides Rick?

Gorgeous colours too. And I love the rooster's name. lol

Amy said...

We were lucky and hired someone to do the dirty work with the chickens!

All the kids have been involved from building the coop to care of the chickens. Rick seems to be especially taken up with them! It has become very personal for him, they are laying eggs for him, it is like a present every day -- it is almost magical to see it through his eyes!

Lisa @ Crazy Adventures in Parenting said...

Lucky!! I wish we could have chickens!!!!

Abby said...

Wow! I really wouldn't know what to do with a chicken at my house, but that is pretty neat.

Brenda said...

Those are some beautiful eggs! Its great for kids to do take care of animals.

Tricia said...

It's wonderful that Rick is so involved, and that he sees the eggs as a treasure. Lot's of fun stuff.

blueviolet said...

Is there really a difference in taste between farm fresh and store bought?

MegB said...

That is awesome you get fresh eggs just by walking outside!

Amy said...

I am not a huge just plain egg eater -- but my children are and they love fresh eggs -- I think that is the big difference --- freshness -- eggs from the store are at least a week old or more! The differences that I have really noticed is ... the shells are much harder, the yolks are much brighter orange and they are not as runny as the ones I use to buy at the store. My children think they taste better ... for me, I know how the chickens are treated, what they have eaten and therefore know more about what we are eating.

Store bought chickens usually come from mass farms that pump their chickens full of antibiotics and other chemicals -- along with pesticide filled feed -- so that I would like to avoid!

Maybe I should do a taste test or something ... that would be interesting!

angie said...

THis is SO great! You should do a post about chickens and egg color. Most people don't know why eggs are the color they are! :)

Sara said...

Love the egg colors. I find it all very interesting. I'm new to your blog, and I am really enjoying it. Take care!

Cat@3KidsandUs said...

That is really neat! Kinda sad to hear the daddy chickens went to the freezer though. :-( Do different egg colors taste different? I had no idea there were green ones.

Lisa @ Crazy Adventures in Parenting said...

How ya feelin' momma! 25 days, woohoo! Almost there!

I love organic coffee. We drink Newman's Own Nell's Breakfast Blend (and by 'we' I mean me). But I've stopped buying it, in an effort to save more money grocery shopping. Eight O Clock coffee isn't a bad replacement.

ThisGrandma said...

Lovely photos !! This Grandma is happy that the children are learning such important lessons about their food, where some of it comes from, what the struggles are to bring it to their table. AND the joys and surprises of the natural world !!
Fresh eggs definitely have more flavor, color and body. The runnier the egg when you crack it open, the older it is. And any food loses vitamin content over time 'on the shelf'.
Soon you may have to look for customers !

skoots1mom said...

Enjoyed your post...
My mom used to have chickens and a rooster...it was fun watching them yet i didn't like it when the rooster would "feel his manhood" and chase you around the yard. :)
what a great way to teach your kids!
enjoy those eggies....

splendid said...

It seems different countries, different cultures, we really can decide things in the same understanding of the difference!
nike shoes