Sunday, January 25, 2009

Tandem Nursing

I am seeking the wise advice, thoughts, stories of all you out there about tandem nursing!

So I do have a little experience, when Sam (my now one year old) was born Rick was weaning. He was almost three at the time and really only nursed once or twice a day and sometimes not at all! When Sam arrived Rick's nursing picked up and at times it seemed they were battling for space. I tried all I could to make this enjoyable for all but really felt stressed about it a lot. Soon there after Rick weaned with no problem and all was well.

Today I am faced with a new baby arriving very shortly and Sam, my one year old nursing fiend! So I seek the thoughts of the experts ... moms who have done it! How can I make this work? I want both my babies to have their needs met and be happy and secure with mom.

So please share! I know it is not easy but I also know that it can be done! Thanks for all your help!

3 comments:

Cat@3KidsandUs said...

I don't have any specific experience in this area as my daughter was my first long term nursing child. She weaned during my pregnancy because of the drop in my milk supply but she does still have an interest in my breasts. I've often wondered if she will attempt to restart nursing once she sees the baby taking over her old spot.

Katie said...

My daughter was born when my son was 18 months old. The great thing about this was that I had milk when my daughter was born. We didn't have any struggles due to hunger. I found a way to sit on the couch comfortably with the baby and toddler. I just made it work and didn't overthink it. It was a great way to calm 2 fussy kids at the same time. I think sharing that experience helped my children bond to each other.
Just relax, enjoy the time.

Lisa @ Crazy Adventures in Parenting said...

Oh boy can it be hard sometimes, but theres nothing like cuddling with your babies :) You will feel like a walking boob.. just relax and it'll work.