Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Wordful Wednesday - Day 3 of Cloth Diapering Week - Soakers

I really like wool soakers (covers)! I think they are cute as can be on my little ones and they are easy to use. They can be worn without anything over them and they work great! Here is my little guy wearing his new Shortie Soakers that his Grandmother so very kindly knit and sent to us! They are our favorite. This is not the best picture but they are a beautiful mix of colors that go with almost everything! They are comfortable and easy to move in! We love them!
This may not be the most spectacular Wordful Wednesday post BUT I am trying to keep up with Cloth Diapering Week around here and there is no way that I can do two posts in one day!!! But I am preparing an exciting Wordful Wednesday for next week ... guest writers, my daughters!

I participate in Wordful Wednesday sponsored by
SevEn cLoWn CirCus


So continuing with Day 3 of Cloth Diapering Week -

Here are a few pictures of Wool Soakers that I have bought on eBay over the past few weeks, each under $10! eBay is a great resource, I have found lots of diapering supplies there. I think you have to try to be frugal because sometimes it is NOT worth paying for the shipping but in general I have found some great deals! I thought these finds were wonderful!



Wool Soakers can be costly, I have seen them for as much as $85.00 a piece for Longies! I personally can not afford that and if I could I am not sure I could justify it! But if you are creative (I am working on this for me) you can make Wool Soakers, there are tons of resources on the web. One way that I am hoping to try is recycling wool sweaters.

Here are a few of the resources that I have found:

Angel Baby Organic - There is some wonderful information about why you should choose to use cloth diapers and why using organic is also important. It is worth stopping over to read!

Green Mountain Diapers - You can spend as much as you would like here! But they do have some affordable things too!

Frugal Diaper Sewing - Here you will find lots of great ideas on how to make your own, including patterns, pictures and everything.

The Cloth Diaper Whisperer - This is a great blog that offers lots of resources and ideas!

Dinker and Giggles - Another great blog that has a complete section of 'Cloth Adventures'.

There are so many resource ... I could make a list a mile long and you could still add to it ... but that can be one of the overwhelming parts of cloth diapering ... just too much information. I live by the belief that information is knowledge BUT I will say with some things you just have to gather and 'jump'. We can still continue to learn and expand but sometimes you just need to start! So here is what I suggest:
  • Gather some information about why you are choosing cloth. For some this is just the first choice but for others (me) I needed to have real reasons ... I need to compare all the aspects of cloth versus disposable. You can see my thoughts here.
  • Determine what things are most important to you ... for me I wanted versatility in size/ages, as little plastic as possible and as much organic as possible and then I had to factor in affordability. Everyone may have different important things, it helps to narrow the options if you know what these 'things' are for you.
  • Set a goal. I decided that I was going to be completely cloth by the time the new baby arrives in February.
  • Do a little research and see what is available in your area ... don't forget to check out Freecycle, Cheapcycle, and Craigslist in your area ... I see stuff all the time, some good deals, some not!
  • 'Jump' - just go for it, I made a smaller investment to start (just enough to get me started) and have spent the last two months collecting things and trying things!
Then you are ready to get a plan of attack ... tomorrow I will give you a peek of how we 'handle' our cloth diapers. I am not saying it is a perfect system and I am sure that each family will come up with what works best for them BUT I remember my first day ... as I changed the first cloth diaper and stood at the laundry room door wondering "Now what?" I will also include our care of wool.

If you have any additional information or links please leave them here and I will compile a list of resources, see my sidebar for a few resources that I have found!

21 comments:

mommaof4wife2r said...

hmmmmm....i'm not that brave.

Jay @halftime lessons said...

Wow...my ass is sweating just thinking about those...
;-)

Happy WW!!

Jay @ HalftimeLessons.com

Lorina said...

I have seen these all over the place.. very cute! Cloth diapering huh.. I am considering this for baby #3! Good luck.

Lindsay said...

I've never heard of wool soakers before! I don't think I'm that brave, either though. They are so cute though!

Tricia said...

They're cute.

Hootin' Anni said...

Cute butt. Makes me think of the commercial on USA TV with Dockers pants I think....this is by far much cuter.

My Wordful is a photoful this week. And if you'd like, drop by the linked 1st ever blog giveaway that I'm doing the next week or two....check it out. Happy Wednesday.

Tiaras and Tantrums said...

really cute - but don't his legs get cold (I don't know where you are - just saying here - is freezing)

Susie said...

Great picture!!

Liz (Loving Mom 2 Boys) said...

That's great - I gave cloth diapering a shot...I liked it mostly, but I am out of the house too much to keep up with it...

I tried making wool soakers from old sweaters - it is surprisingly easy - I found you really don't need a ton of talent to tackle the task.

Live.Love.Eat said...

How times have changed. These are great!
Happy WW to you!!

Joy said...

Those are very sweet I wish I had been brave enough to take on cloth diapering with my kiddos

rachael said...

i do a cloth/disposable combo with my 3 and i actually love the ones we use, bg. i haven't tried anything else though!

Mandy said...

wow. good for you. :)

Thanks for stopping by!

Natalie said...

very brave of you. i bet that tushie is toasty warm.

goodfather said...

I have not heard of soakers before! Hmm. Neither my wife or I are handy with the old knitting needles, so we would have to try eBay.

Great pics! The Shorties are too cute.

BoufMom9 said...

Good for you making this choice. I, too, use cloth for my twins. It just was so much better for their skin :)
Happy WW!

angie said...

I am learning so much about cloth diapering. LOVING it!

Lorie said...

I love those...I'll check on ebay. Do you search under wool soakers?
Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Jonny's Mommy said...

You are one brave mama. I didn't feel I could do that, but they are very nice. I never really saw what they looked like but this is better than I thought. Cute little baby butt photo! :-)

Rhonda said...

Still laughing at Jay's comment!!! lol

Cloth diapering wasn't for me, but good on ya!

faiths13 said...

Thank you so much for your comment on my Eco Baby Buzz Blog! I'm glad you found it helpful! I also have a website with tons more info, if your interested in adding it to your resource list. ecobabybuzz.com. I love your cloth diapering week posts! Very cute woolies!