Thursday, December 18, 2008

Day 4 - Cloth Diapering - Sidetracked

I have been doing so good keeping up this week with a post each day! But yesterday I went to Goodwill and found several wool sweaters for $1 each and decided that I was going to try to make my own wool soakers! So my computer time has been taken over by cutting up wool sweaters, and sewing (by hand because I do not have a machine)! Good news is ... it is really easy and I have taken some pictures and will include them in my Cloth Diapering posts that will be coming soon!

In the meantime here are some links to other resources that I have found:

Watch Steph and Ivy's Adventures:




Simply Serena - here you will find many, many link!
Katrina's Sew Quick Soaker Pattern - step by step instructions with pictures!
Eco Baby Buzz - Lots of great cloth diapering information, along with other parenting 'stuff'!
Kidcentrix.com - This is the instructions that I am using today!
Blossoms and Blessings - Step by step with pictures!

Thank you to everyone who has said I am 'brave'! Let me say that really it is like any change we make in our lives, there takes some steps to get there but usually it becomes second nature. I would not go back now and it is no more difficult than disposables.

There was also a couple comments regarding the warmth of wool --- we have a wood stove so usually it is quite warm in our little house, so the wool shorties are great for around the house and for in the summer months. We also have long pant wool soakers -- that is what I am making today for outside and colder weather.

I also am including this interesting information that I found about wool ...
Wool is comfortable to wear in both warm and cool climates. This is because wool is an absorbent fiber. When the air is cool and damp, wool absorbs moisture and keeps a layer of dry, insulating air next to the skin. When it's warm, that same absorption capacity takes up perspiration and keeps insulating dry air next to the skin, making the body's natural cooling system work better.
Thank you to everyone who has been following my posts and I promise I will be back with a real post soon!

2 comments:

Tricia said...

Sounds like a busy time. Good luck with your project. I wonder if those sweaters you found are the ones my husband has shrunk over the years. Note to self: do not put sweaters in the laundry room where husband has no inclination for how to care for different textiles.

Tiaras and Tantrums said...

wow - you are super fantastic to do that!