Thursday, October 2, 2008

Miserable Itch And Pennies

Jacob was stung by a yellow jacket on Tuesday evening. Darn thing flew right into his sandle and probably panicked from the stench because it could not get out. Poor little guy came running in with big tears. We washed it up really good with soap and water and I went to the internet to find some home remedies.

The most common idea I found was to clean the area well, apply some ice for pain and then baking soda and apple-cider vinegar for itch. So this is what we did and all was going well! Until about 24 hours later when apparently the itch became unbearable. So we continued to put the 'yucky smelling paste' on and drank some calming tea. This seemed to be working well but needed to be reapplied every couple hours. Until about midnight last night when I could hear Jacob wiggling around, itching like crazy and sniffling back his little tears.

So back to the internet I go to dig deeper so that we could find some relief and in turn some sleep. Unfortunately I found little for answers. So by shortly after midnight Jacob's foot is soaking in an Epson Salt bath and I am mixing up some more baking soda and vinegar paste. I had also found the all natural itch cream we had bought at the co-op. After the foot soak, a cookie to help the tears, we covered the whole toe with the baking soda paste and put a sock on and back to bed we go.

About this time Rick was coughing (little cold still) and Sam was ready to nurse - but that is another post titled "Why Mommy Is Exhausted!"

I think it was 2:46am when I heard "mom, it still itches" through frustrated sobs. So out we go, clean it up, put another coat of baking soda paste, a pep talk about 'not thinking about it' and back to bed! At 4:57am we had a repeat of this scene. Okay, now I know that I am tired and I know that Jacob is tired, I can see it in is puffy eyes and his little tolerance for anything. But itching can be so frustrating, I just hope it lets up soon!

6:25am ... JACOB: "It itches again." MOM: "Okay, what do you think we should do?" JACOB: "I don't know!"

So out we go for another Epson Salt bath (which just made it itch more, according to Jacob)and then I remembered that I had read something about pennies ... that the copper in pennies neutralizes the sting and itch. Well, at this point I (and I think Jacob) would try anything. So we dried it all off and I taped several pennies all over his foot ... and guess what it has been an hour and no complaining. Jacob actually just comment with a big smile that "it does not itch." Go figure, probably the easiest of solutions seems to be working. If this works well, maybe we can all sleep tonight!!

Do you have any itchy remedies?

5 comments:

HeatherPride said...

Oh my goodness, those pesky bees! I spent my entire childhood barefoot, so it seems I was always stepping on bees and getting stung!! Poor kiddo! My dad used to mix up a paste with meat tenderizer and water, and I do remember that helping a lot. I never heard of the penny trick, but I'm glad it finally worked for you!!

Amy said...

Well, the pennies worked for a few hours and then ... we tried rubbing garlic on it and that seemed to work for a bit.

Uncle Michael says:

"TELL JAKE (IF THE PENNIES DON'T WORK) TO STICK HIS WHOLE FOOT IN THE FREEZER. TELL HIM THAT ALWAYS WORKS FOR ME, ESPECIALLY WHEN THERE IS ICE CREAM IN THERE FOR THE TAKING. USUALLY 2-3 HOURS IN THE FREEZER AND THEN MY FOOT DOESN'T ITCH! AND OH YEAH, FOR MOTHER A SHOT OF TEQUILA IS BEST!"

Tricia said...

I second what Michael said.

What about chamomile tea presses. When Aaron had that terrible HSP illness, the chamomile tea stopped itching better than anything!

Wishing you some sleep!

ThisGrandma said...

I have no magic remedy to suggest. I just know that active scratching of the spot brings more blood and re-activates the histamines which cause the itch in the first place....so the final answer (very hard for a little boy) is NO SCRATCHING. I know how a bee sting ITCHES !!!! Hang in there Jake, you can do it !! Bees and other insects are more active now as they get ready for winter - so keep you eye out, and your shoes on.

Rachel said...

I am just loving you blog!

When we were homesteading we lived in a swarm of them constantly (not an exaggeration, I promise) we all were stung multiple times, me in the mouth!

Echinaea tincture ON THE STING immediately & in the mouth 4 times the first hr. Immediately after putting the tincture on the sting, go get some plantain (a weed in everyone's yard) chew it up, put it on the sting & band-aid it to hold it on. All sting & itch will be gone by that eve. It worked for the girls & I over & over again. Sophie was stung 3x in one day once! She was sore, but no stinging/itching so she could sleep.