HELP! Does anyone have a cure for the itchy poison ivy???????
Jacob seems to want to be the first, the first to get stung by a yellow jacket and now the first to get poison ivy! When we moved into our house the owners told us that there was poison ivy on the property so we looked it up and showed the kids so that they could identify it. The kids have been very nervous about it around the house so they tend to wear pants, socks and shoes when they go outside -- good habits!
So on Friday Jacob was out working on the chicken coop with his dad and came in saying: "I itch"! Assuming that the bugs were out I said: "Let's get in the shower." This usually works well for the itches after working outside. I never thought of poison ivy because I had not seen any near the where they were working.
As he stripped down I could see that he had several blistery spots on his legs, they were a little oozy and seemed to itch like crazy. My first thought was poison ivy BUT as I have never seen it before I called to Dan to come look and he indeed confirmed (as he has had lots of experience with it) that it was POISON IVY!!!
Jacob wants to know how this happened, me too as we have been very careful around the house!
Then Dan says: Remember at dance class Tuesday night? You were playing out by that tree and I said, that looks like poison ivy?"
Well there you have it! I guess it was!
A quick rinse off shower and lots of itching so we head down to the co-op to get something to help -- there I am faced with a shelf of many different things, I ask the lady working which she thinks is best, I end up buying three different things: a wash, a homeopathic oral tab and a ointment! We will kick this.
So, here we are and it is Wednesday and we have had many days of itching, it seems much more controllable during the day but it seems that between 1:00am and 4:00am the itching is so intense that none of us can sleep!
So if any of you out there have a treatment, cure, etc... I would love to hear it! Unless it is scrubbing your whole body with a scrub brush and bleach (which I found on the web) that just seems to cruel! Oh and I am not a big fan of chemicals!!! So send a long those natural, at home remedies ... you know the ones that have been around forever and really work!!! And maybe a story for Jacob of your poison ivy experience ... sometime he finds a good laugh can get his mind off the itching!
Thanks a million!