Sunday, October 26, 2008

Green Meme #1

1) Name two motivations for being green?

Knowledge - the more I learn the more crazy it seems that we do not see that as a society we are poisoning ourselves and our world. I recently heard something that really kind of put this into prospective (in a sad sort of way).
"If insects died out, in 50 years, all life would cease to exist. If humans died out, in 50 years, all life would flourish." Sir Ken Robinson stated.
My Children - I truly believe that children learn what they live and so if I can set a good example then it will be much easier for them to carry on. I do not want them to feel helpless, we can make a difference. Each little baby step towards a 'greener' world makes a difference.

2) Name 2 eco-UNfriendly items you refuse to give up?

My computer - I know it uses electricity, it has plastic, etc... BUT I use it to gain knowledge, to communicate with so many people and I really do like it very much!!!

My Car - I use it a lot less and as a family, we only have one vehicle now BUT I find it a necessary evil at this point in our lives.

I would like to say that these are not the ONLY eco-unfriendly things in my life, I am far from perfect, honestly I have just started this journey to ecofriendly living BUT these were two biggies!

3) Are you at peace with or do you feel guilty about number 2?

I have learned to find peace, I think finding peace with choices that you make is very important, even if you plan to change them eventually. For me guilt does not make a difference with anything, except eat at you inside -- not healthy! So if indeed I become feeling too guilty then I must change it!

So my justifications are this: my car we use a lot less and like I said have only one vehicle for our large family. I hope that eventually we will be even more self sufficient so that we will depend less on outside resources, using a vehicle even less! As for my computer ... the reality is that it works ... can I use it less, probably BUT I think that it is a very helpful resource for me and for my family!

4) What are you willing to change but feel unable to/stuck with/unsure how to go about it?

Our diets - we have changed to a mostly organic diet and try very hard to buy as local as possible BUT the bottom line is that it costs more ... so I have become very creative including growing our own food and getting chickens for eggs. I hope to eventually raise all our own meats or at least raise some and barter for others. But at this point I do not have all the resources to do this. Sometimes it is being bond by financial ability. I am trying really hard to break free from this though.

5) Do you know your carbon footprint for your home? If so, is it larger/smaller than your national average? (http://www.carbonfootprint.com/calculator.aspx)
I went and used this calculator and my over all carbon footprint is 14.263 which I am glad to see is below the national average. Our vehicle usage is a huge portion of this. I based that usage on our past two years and I am hoping that some of the changes that we have already made will reduce this quite a bit!

6) What's eco-frustrating and/or eco-fantastic about where you live?

We just moved to a new state so I am still learning. The things that I think are fantastic is that there are many choices that are close by for organic, local harvest. There is free recycling!!! I guess I would have to say the most frustrating is the fact that I am having to learn where things are and developing a new network! But it is not so bad!

7) Do you eat local/organic/vegetarian/forage/grow your own?

We try really hard to eat local and organic. We also have a garden and just bought chickens for eggs. I hope to also raise some chickens as meat birds in the spring and to expand our garden!

Our most recent change to our diets has been with water ... as anyone who reads my blog knows I have been having a huge dilemma with water lately. We recently purchased a under the sink water filter, Dan installed it last night and it was great to NOT have the yucky chlorine smell and awful taste! We refill glass jugs for the refrigerator and have bought stainless steel water bottles to take water with us!

8) What do you personally find the most challenging in being green?

The cost! As it has become a fad sometimes things that should be basic become more difficult to find and more costly. We are falsely led to believe that we need fancy things to make it work! I think in the beginning it was really learning a whole new way of shopping and looking at some of the things that I do every day. But with time it has become much simpler!

9) Do you have a green confession?

I am sure there are many. After having five children and expecting number six I am just barely switching to cloth diapers ... really the switch has not been so bad and I am sort of kicking myself for not changing earlier ... this would have been better for my children, environment and my pocket book!! But oh well, at least I am making changes now!

I really think that my computer is the biggest ... I have said it all before!

I am sure there are other things ... plastic ... I would really like to remove as much plastic from our house and lives as possible BUT my children have so much plastic and do I have the right to take it away from them? I can request and not get more though!

10) Do you have the support of family and/or friends?

It all depends on how you define this ... YES! My husband and children are great and we have really tackled a lot of challenges as a family. I get a lot of harassment from my family and friends and I try not to be to preachy but if it is important enough for me to change then I think it is just a part of me and they will have to except it or I guess not! Actually I have seen lots of changes with many family and friends ... to all of my friends and family I have two word for you ... PAPER TOWELS (you do NOT need them)!!!

So what do you have to say about going green? I would love to hear your thoughts and ideas. I really do not who to tag so I am just leaving this open hoping that others with join in the fun. Be honest and remember NO GUILT - we are all doing what we can, hopefully!

So now it is your turn ... here are the guidelines:

1) Link to Green Meme Bloggers. (use image if you like)
2) Link back to whoever tagged you. (I tagged myself!)
3) Include meme number
4) Include these guidelines in your post
5) Answer questions
6) Tag 3 other green bloggers.

4 comments:

Mon said...

I want to comment on everything! lol I really enjoyed reading your answers. It's amazing how quickly you can learn about someone. Possibly a point you made that I really am on board with you is how expensive eco stuff is, or the fact 'they' try to tell us we need it to be green.
I'm off to research this whole - boiling water brings out other chemical thing. good grief.

Mon said...

Oh, I meant to add. memes are nothing without tags! Especially spreading the green word. Looks like a few good possibilities right on your blogroll.Glad to have met you.

HeatherPride said...

I'm really impressed that you bought chickens for eggs!! Wow!

Tricia said...

I have a lot of respect for all the changes you've made, and continue to make, and I think it's wonderful that you're doing this as a family.

I think the hardest things about being more green is cost and convenience. After all, many of the things we're no longer supposed to use were created for convenience and going back to "simpler" processes and ways takes more thought and time.