Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Ranting About The Dentist


I just need to rant for a moment! Today four of my children had dentist appointments. We always schedule all their cleanings for the same day ... saves on trips to the dentists office. For many years we traveled over an hour to a pediatric dentist. I have no complaints about this dentist office ... at the time I can remember thinking it was crazy that I traveled over an hour to have the kids teeth cleaned. But the office was designed for children with lots of toys and a big crocodile with teeth on the wall that was whimsical and fun. The Hygienist would go over everything with you and your child at each visit (I can remember thinking, you know I do remember from six months ago) but anyways it was nice for the kids and they always enjoyed going!

Somewhere along the way I decided that it would be better to go to the dentist who had an office in our town. So I did all the paperwork and switch. The first time we went in was fine ... much quicker than the pediatric dentist ... no toys to pry away and no chit chat -- a cleaning and a brief visit from the dentist and we were done. I thought this was okay, easier than the hour drive, one way to the other place ...

Then today we went ... my four oldest children all had cleanings scheduled ... I went in with the first one because I wanted to chat with the Hygienist and make sure all was well. I was just so disappointed ... his cleaning lasted less than 15 minutes and she said he was done, he could pick a prize. I asked "Isn't the dentist going to look at his teeth?" She said "Oh no, there is no dentist on duty today, anyways his teeth look fine."

Okay so here is my question ... Who goes to the dentist and never sees the dentist? I can not wait to see what is billed to my insurance company, a regular "dentist" visit with NO dentist? Is this typical. I have never in my life known of a Hygienist who makes calls on someones teeth ... at the other place we went they were always adamant that the dentist had to tell us about the teeth! The Hygienist always provided great tips for brushing and such BUT never just said "hey they look good to me." I could have stayed home and had my thirteen year old do this type of cleaning.


Have you ever heard of such a thing?

6 comments:

Tricia said...

I've never heard of such a thing. I also thought going to the dentist was to SEE the dentist. I'd be incredibly frustrated too!! And you're right, they'll probably bill the insurance company an outrageous amount.

We take Aaron to one of those decked out pediatric dentists as well, but the last two times we've been he's refused to let them clean his teeth. I'm at a bit of a loss as what to do. We've done lots of reading, roll playing, etc. BUT, even with Aaron's refusal to let the hygienist do her job, the dentist still comes in and does an examination and answers questions.

Susan said...

This is the case at both my dentist, as well as the office my children go to. In fact, many insurance companies will not pay for an exam every six months, only yearly. So the typical is that they get an "exam" once a year, which is a cleaning and seeing the dentist, and then a "cleaning" for the other 6 month visit which is just the cleaning. Now if they went 2 visits without seeing the dentist, or had some issues that they didn't address, then I would worry, but yes, I believe this is typical, at least here in VT.

angie said...

I HAVE never heard of this either. My friends hubby is a dentist. I'm going to ask if it's even legal.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

That is crazy--and probably malpractice if the bill for an exam instead of just a cleaning.

Back in the day we had an awesome pediatric dentist who actually cleaned their teeth every 3 months (and didn't charge for the ones that weren't covered by insurance). Yes, we were always at the dentist, but it was worth it.

Jennifer said...

That's ridiculous! I'd take issue with that totally.

sabrina john said...

The Hygienist would go over everything with you and your child at each https://www.rx247.net visit (I can remember thinking, you know I do remember from six months ago) but anyways it was nice for the kids and they always enjoyed going!