Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Freecycle








In anticipation of our big move we have been downsizing. In the past year we sold are three story house, moved to a smaller duplex which turned out to be a big horror story (that is another post), did a quick move putting all our stuff into storage and staying with family and then finally settling into this cute little apartment that we have now! Our current apartment is probably one third the size of our house was so we still have some stuff in storage.

I have to say that we have really enjoyed having less stuff here and decided that as it has been almost a year since we have seen or used the stuff in storage that we could probably get rid of most of it!

Has anyone ever cleaned out a storage unit ... lots of junk! Then add the help of five children and oh my what a pain! This has been an on going process for a couple months. YUCK! YUCK! YUCK!

We have been lugging everything out and setting up a storage sale, people come, rustle through and we sell a little and then we haul it back ... then I discovered FREECYCLE! Here is how it works ... you post an offer and then you get lots of people who want it and are willing to come get it. I participate in Freecycle in our county but from what I can tell they are all over (just do a search in Yahoo Groups). This has been a lot of fun. Even things that I thought would never go is being picked up and people are happy! I have been having so much fun, my husband is concerned that he may come home and I will have given everything away!!!!

4 comments:

ThisGrandma said...

Just be careful not to accidently give away one of my grandkids in a box !!!!! I registered for FreeCycle here in CO and am also amazed not only at what folks take, but at what shows up to be GIVEN AWAY !!! I haven't actually taken advantage of anything myself. BUT it is a fast moving service - if you see something you think you want, better jump on it or it will be gone tomorrow.

Wendy said...

Good luck getting rid of everything. I just found your blog. It's great!

I left something for you on my blog.

Tricia said...

This does sound pretty cool, and much better than the hassle of a garage or yard sale. That old saying that one man's junk is another man's treasure is true.

Homesteader's Wife said...

Guess what!!! In a couple of years, we're moving to Indiana... I'm pretty sure where we are going to be will be only a few hours away! I'm always excited to get to know people of like-mindedness... I love freecycle. We got rid of one of our futons that way...