Monday, June 23, 2008

When Life Takes You By Surprise


Some of you may have noticed that on the right side bar there is now a "baby ticker". Yes, this is true. I am sure that all of my friends and family are sitting there saying "oh my god" and actually that was my first reaction! Having a baby is a wonderful thing, I cherish my ability to have children and love them all deeply. Dan and I have been asked by many "just how many children we planned to have" and I know that our family worries greatly about our ability to 'survive' with the economy and 'all these children'.

I am going to be very honest, a couple weeks ago when the thought of being pregnant hit me I was just overwhelmed with emotions. Actually, Dan and I had decided that we were not going to have any more children. We had made this decision based on the current economy and just logistics relating to money. Well, what we later discovered is that we were too late ...

Okay, so this really was difficult for me because there is this little thing called guilt that seems to creep up ... first of all there was the guilt that maybe, just maybe I did not want to have another child and then what on earth would our families say ... well after lots of conversations with myself, I have come to realize that I have to allow this to be what it is ... I was not planning on another baby but honestly I believe that all things happen for a reason. Many years ago when I was pregnant for the first time, with our oldest daughter, someone asked us how many children we planned to have. At that point I had no idea, Dan answered "six"! Well, maybe somethings are meant to happen.

No matter what anyone else thinks I know that this child will come into our family with much love and we will survive! As much as it has caught us by surprise, never will it be a mistake or unwanted.


So to our family and friends who worry about us, thank you for worrying and thank you for being our family and friends. But we do not want this to be a sad time, it is a new life that is precious and should be honored and although we respect that logistically not everything is perfect ... we are happy and hope that you can be happy with us!

PS. Because I am a great big chicken and don't dare to tell anyone I am posting it here!

5 comments:

Tricia said...

Congratulations. What's that old saying? Sometimes the best things in life are the unexpected. Once a baby is set to arrive, there's only one way to think of it...as a miracle full of tremendous opportunity. To disparage new life will simply add additional frown lines, create unneeded angst and place a low-hanging cloud of negative emotion over a tummy full of joy. Babies are blessings. There's really no other way to look at it, is there? Six is a nice, round number.

Jennifer said...

Congrats mama!

Try not to beat yourself up too bad. #1 for us was not planned and I went through a lot of painful emotions. We're only human!

ThisGrandma said...

Another sneaky way to let out the news......I am sure you all are still bouncing back and forth with this news. I know I am. But there is always enough LOVE to go around when it is nourished as you all do SO WELL! Wish I was closer to give you HUGS ! You guys sure know how to MAKE LEMMONADE !!

Tricia said...

Oh yea, I forgot to ask...does this mean you'll be changing the name of your blog?

I agree with thisgrandma...you guys do know how to make lemonade and I wish I was close enough to give you a hug too. I'd also just like to say that I'm wondering how you have time to make lemonade and babies with five children in the house...oh, wait, maybe I'm not supposed to ask that on a blog?

T.T. said...

I feel bad that you are so concerned about what your family and friends will think. I can only hope that they, like me, will "shake their heads," not because they think you are making a wrong or bad choice in having another child, but in amazement that you can do so and still be such an awesome mom. Having one child has been work enough for me, and I have a huge respect for others who have the ability to go on to have two, three, or six.
Rather than seeing your pregnancy as fool-hearty or economically unsound (as you seem to think we will), I look it as one more well-adjusted, happy peron on the planet to help off-set the bad decisions the other 2 billion+ people will make.